Monday, April 20, 2009

Let's Get Fresh: Pomelos



My latest foray to the Farmers Market yielded a bounty of seasonal goodies - I LOVE Spring! As I've mentioned previously, the Winter market is no wasteland, but there's something to be said about the market when the offerings start to explode, and the colors and flavors remind you that yes, indeed, Winter is no Spring. My haul included my most-coveted item of the year, morel mushrooms, as well as kumquats, avocados, fava beans (another favorite), spring garlic and one big pomelo. I'll have posts featuring recipes with many of my finds throughout the week, but am going to kick it off with the pomelo.

So a pomelo is basically a grapefruit on steroids, only sweeter. It's official name says it all: Citrus Maxima - it's the largest of the citrus fruits, and its flesh can be white or pink. I use a pomelo pretty much as I would a grapefruit. And this time around, I didn't even bother putting the one I brought home to good use in a recipe. I just sliced it up, peeled back the thick, pithy rind, and commenced eating it all on its own. But if you're hankering for a really fresh salad, here's a recipe that's included in the Fare to Remember cookbook; simply swap the grapefruit with pomelo.


Mâche Salad with Champagne Vinaigrette

Ingredients:
• 4 ounces mâche (lamb’s lettuce)
• 2 grapefruits, peeled and cubed
• 1 avocado, peeled and cubed
• 1 cup walnut pieces or halves

Dressing:
• 1 cup olive oil
• 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
• 1/2 cup champagne
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• Pinch sugar, optional

Toast walnuts in a sauté pan with a splash of olive oil. Season with salt. Whisk together dressing ingredients. Assemble salad and toss with dressing.

1 comment:

  1. Yum - champagne vinegar sounds like the perfect accompaniment to grapefruit. When we lived in French Guyana they had grapefruits almost the size of a soccer ball called a chadeck. Nice post - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete