Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Speaking of Wild Rice… Winter Wild Rice Salad

This is a dish that I brought to our family's Thanksgiving gathering. There was so much food that day, I think it understandably got lost in the shuffle. I didn't even have a bite (not when there's mashed potatoes to be had!). But I haven't forgotten about it! Since that day I've made it a couple of times because I find it warm and hearty and satisfying on a Winter's night, and its simple enough to whip up after work. Enjoy!

Wild Rice Salad
  • 1 cups wild rice
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup pecans
  • 2 scallions, chopped (including greens)
  • The juice of one fresh-squeezed orange
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Cook the wild rice according to package directions. If using a rice cooker, use a ratio of 1 part rice to 3 parts water. Once the rice is finished cooking, transfer to a mixing bowl and fluff it up with a fork. Let cool a it before adding the cranberries, pecans, and green onions. Once combined, add the orange juice and olive oil; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Can be served warm, chilled, or room temperature (I personally like it warm - seems very hearty and perfect for winter that way).


No comments:

Post a Comment