Friday, November 27, 2009

So Thankful

Another Thanksgiving down. Another year where I vowed not to stuff myself until it hurts... another year where that vow got broken. Another year that I am thankful for so very much.

Our family's Thanksgiving Day observances are nothing short of spectacular. They are always a celebration, a time of abundance. Perhaps over-abundance. We are a fortunate bunch, keenly aware that our comfortable world is not the norm. But like all families, we are not immune to misfortune or tough luck. This year saw our fair share of health scares, financial uncertainty, job losses, splintered relationships, hardship. And yet.

We are thankful.

Personally, I am thankful for a husband who quite possibly couldn't love me more. And I'm even more thankful that he shows his love in both word and deed. I am thankful for my parents. That they are healthy, that they are a big part of my life and that they are continuing to set examples of how I should - and want to - live my life.

I am thankful for a job I love, a home that is my haven, pets that make me smile.

I am thankful for siblings, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, cousins. Grandparents.

I am thankful for friends. I know I have more than my fair share, and I am grateful that despite the years or miles, certain friendships will always endure.

I am thankful for silly things: The Furminator. Glee. Google Reader.

I am thankful for my talents, and equally thankful for the ability to continually learn new things.

I am grateful for a body that despite every attempt at breaking down remains strong.

And finally, I am thankful for a Thanksgiving Day feast that was absolutely 100 percent "Fare to Remember":
  • A gathering of close to 30 loved ones, complete with the youthful energy of half a dozen rugrats under the age of 5.
  • A beautiful Bay Area day, fall colors all ablaze.
  • An appetizer spread that could have sufficed as a feast all on its own.
  • A 7-rib prime rib roast. Again, the biggest I've ever seen.
  • A bone-in spiral cut ham. Why not?
  • Fresh abalone, plucked from the rugged Sonoma coast only the day before.
  • All the traditional fixins - mashed potatoes, cornbread stuffing, gravy, whipped yams, green beans, Caesar salad... many produced in duplicate for the vegetarians among us.
  • Decadent Williams Sonoma croissants.
  • Eight different kinds of pie.
  • Leftovers.
I sure hope your Thanksgiving was every bit as memorable, but if you'll excuse me, I've got a bit of digesting to do!

1 comment:

  1. A mild drinking group I must say so our memories of the days events are in our individual minds eye - however - it is so appreciative that Mo always is there with her trusty camera to document and cronicle the events of our family and friends. Thank you Mo for taking the time to remind us why we are all so fortunate and thankful more than just on Thanks Giving but in this crazy world. We love our great family. In the words of Greg - friends are family and family are friends. Cheers to 2010 to all.

    ReplyDelete