Sunday, January 25, 2009

Salty and Sweet


I'm such a sucker for salted caramel. A complete and utter sucker. Which is strange - I really can walk away from most sweets, but there's something about the flavor combination of salted caramel that gets me every time. So, I resurrected a super-simple caramel popcorn recipe that I've literally been making since I was a kid, and finished it off with a decidedly 2008 flourish: gray fleur de sel. It's caramel popcorn - all grown up! You can blame me if you get addicted as well, but don't say I didn't warn you!

Salted Caramel Popcorn
  • 1 cube of butter (1/2 cup)
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup corn syrup
  • 1 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
  • Course gray sea salt (French fleur de sel is my go-to)
Combine all caramel ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring to melt and blend all ingredients together. Reduce heat to low and continue a slow boil; stir constantly to avoid the caramel from burning. Caramel is done when it reaches the soft ball candy stage (approximately 5 minutes at slow boil). While still hot, pour caramel over a big bowl of popcorn, mixing well to coat. Sprinkle liberally with the sea salt, again, mixing well for even coverage throughout the batch.

7 comments:

  1. Looks woderful...but what is the measurement of a cube of butter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops... it's half of a cup. Recipe updated! Funny - no one has questioned that yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I just couldn't pass it by! Found you on tastespotting...great blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you !Come back often... it's tasty around here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made your popcorn yesterday. It was wonderful. Your photo is what initially drew my attention. Thank you.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm doing this tomorrow, after seeing Thibeault's reference to it. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is this gooey or hard when it is done?

    ReplyDelete