Thursday, January 1, 2009

My Guilty Pleasure #1: Bi-Rite Creamery Ice Cream



Ice cream? I can take it or leave it. I'm not a big fan of most sweet things, and certainly don't go out of my way to get my hands on a sweet treat. In fact, you could load up a table full of desserts and plant it firmly in my path, and I'd find a way to get around, over, or under it if there was a pie ce of cheese or loaf of bread waiting on the other side. So for me to have an ongoing craving for ice cream is highly out of the ordinary. But the scoops at San Francisco's Bi-Rite Creamery must be loaded with crack, because I just can't get enough. And it's not even necessarily all of their ice cream that gets me - just one flavor in particular: the salted caramel (part the clouds, cue heavenly music, direct sunbeam directly on this heavenly concoction!).



I was in San Francisco a couple days ago, so made the pilgrimage and got myself a little cup of indulgence, pictured here (the salted caramel ice cream topped with Bi-Rite's homemade almond-butter toffee crumbles). It was an awesome capper to a perfect day - I sat and relished my cup-o-goodness in Dolores Park, watching people and dogs go by, and enjoying the 65-degree December day (strange, after having just come from the perma-frost of Utah where I spent Christmas only a few days earlier).


So take it from me, you should absolutely check out Bi-Rite's organic, homemade crack... er, ice cream. With flavors like Lavendar Honey, Creme Fraiche, Coffee Toffee, Brown Butter Almond, and standbys like chocolate and vanilla, there's a drug of choice for everyone.


1 comment:

  1. oh man my city "boyfriends" took me there for dessert last year how delish!

    ReplyDelete