This "matchstick" salad came about in my quest to maintain bright, colorful, fresh flavors in my diet right on through the winter. The ingredients are all in season and even at the peak of their juiciness right about now, and this salad simply explodes with refreshing tastes we more associate with summer. So have a little sunshine on me!
Celery Root, Green Apple and Citrus Matchstick Salad with Champagne/Grapefruit Vinaigrette
- 1 small celery root bulb
- 1 large Granny Smith apple
- 4-6 fresh seedless clementines or seeded honey tangerines, peeled and segmented (canned mandarin oranges would also work)
- 1 fresh Ruby Red grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Champagne (Brut style works best; you can also substitute with Champagne vinegar)
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice
- Kosher salt, to taste
And speaking of celery root - my friend Aerial sent me this recipe to add after seeing the original blog post above. She said it's an old Jewish recipe, and it sounds delicious!
Celery Root in Mustard Dressing
Contributed by Aerial Gilbert
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup light olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- White pepper, to taste
- 4 cups celery root (about 1 pound)
In a large bowl whisk together mustard and vinegar. Continue whisking and drizzle the olive oil a little at a time until fully incorporated; season with salt and pepper.
Peel and cut the celery root into julienne strips; toss with the dressing. Serve as a first course or on Boston lettuce as a salad.