Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Call of the Cauliflower, Part 3: Cauliflower and Kale Tabouli

Remember how I promised just a minute ago that I'd get you a nice little recipe for grated cauliflower? This one, my dear friends, is the bomb. The shizzle. The whatever-the-kids-are-saying today to indicate vast goodness. Allow me to introduce you to a salad that has, quite possibly, changed my life: Cauliflower and Kale Tabouli.

You know tabouli, right? That freaking awesome Mediterranean salad of parsley, mint, tomatoes, bulgar and maybe some chickpeas if it's fancy? Well this version turns convention on its head and uses only a handful of the traditional ingredients, but comes out tasting just the same, if not better. I saw the idea on one of the many blogs I read, Steamy Kitchen, and tweaked it just a bit more to be even closer to the traditional recipe.

The thing about this salad is that no matter how you choose - or need - to eat, it fits the bill. Pick your diet: vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, low-carb, low fat, raw.... it's all of the above and more. It's jam packed with powerful antioxidants, loads of vitamins, calcium... and lo and behold.... FLAVOR. I made a big batch, thinking it would last me several days (it stands up beautifully in the fridge) - but ate it all in about 48 hours. Once I started in on it, this salad is all I wanted to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is that good and addictive.

So without any further ado, here's the best salad that you've never made. Yet.

Cauliflower and Kale Tabouli
(This will make enough for a big party-sized bowl for your next potluck; adjust as you see fit)
  • 1/2 head of cauliflower, grated
  • 1 head of kale, center stems removed and chopped fine (I used flowering kale for the batch in the photos here - I couldn't pass up on the colors!)
  • 1/2 of a good-sized bunch of parsley, stems removed and chopped fine
  • 1/2 cup +/- of mint, chopped fine
  • 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
  • 4 scallions, chopped
For the dressing
  • The juice of two fresh-squeezed lemons
  • Equal amount of extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cloves of garlic, pressed
To assemble, throw all of the chopped ingredients in a big bowl. Whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over the salad and toss. Season to taste with kosher salt. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment