As luck would have it, Jessica had contributed an Apple Blackberry Crisp recipe to the Fare to Remember cookbook; it was this recipe that provided the basis for the Plum Berry Crumble Pie (same recipe, just plums substituted for apples).
So if you have a wealth of plums (or any other stone fruit, for that matter) looking for a home, give this recipe a try. It sure made the plums disappear from our house like nobody's business!
Plum Berry Crumble Pie
Adapted from Jessica Taekman's Apple Blackberry Crisp recipe
Note: I don't have a recipe for pie crust - Jessica's or otherwise - so this recipe assumes you'll go the semi-homemade route like I did, or you're industrious enough to hunt one down.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted, chilled butter cut into pieces
- 5 pounds plums (blanched, peeled, pitted and sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh berries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely diced (optional)
- Zest and juice from 1 small lemon