Monday, July 5, 2010

Grilling and Chilling: French Toast

I love the internets. Saw a little nugget of information posted on a friend's Facebook page; something to the tune of "Camping? be sure to make French toast kebabs on the grill!" followed by a quick and simple recipe.

Well blow me over. I thought I was pretty adept at making anything and everything on a grill, and totally pride myself on hella good camp eats. But I have never grilled French toast - what a concept. So, of course on this past grilling and chilling weekend, I had to give it a go right here in my own backyard. Results: spectacular. Am officially adding the kebabs to my breakfast/brunch repertoire, camping or not.

Not much to it - just whip up your favorite French toast custard recipe and pour it over big cubes of day-old crusty bread. (My simple custard recipe consists of 3 eggs, 1/2 cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, a dash of cinnamon, a dash of nutmeg, whisked into submission. If I'm feeling a little fancy, I'll add a splash of Grand Marnier.) I let the bread cubes absorb all of the egg mixture (it was a good 20 minute soak), threaded them onto skewers, then cooked them over a hot, well-oiled grill. Dusted the finished kebabs with powdered sugar, then ate them up with butter and maple syrup. SUPER simple. SUPER good. Nuf said.

No comments:

Post a Comment