So Randall and I were sitting around watching the Food Network one night (yep... we live it up alright!), and lo and behold: Rachel Ray busted out a 30-Minute Meal that had both of us salivating. She made these ridiculous double cheeseburgers topped with bacon and a roasted tomato chutney... but that were considerably more healthy than the heart-attack-in-a-wrapper you'd get at the corner fast food joint. Her secret: she used all turkey (ground turkey breast patties, turkey bacon), and substituted an English muffin for a normal bun.
Now I've made turkey burgers a million times before - they're one of my favorites. The difference this time around was that Randall, not usually a fan of ground turkey, was really keen to the idea after seeing Rachel's episode. The iron was hot, so I struck. I bought turkey burger ingredients the very next day.
I didn't actually go back and research or follow Rachel's recipe; her show simply provided the inspiration for the ones I made, pictured above. I loaded up the ground turkey breast with heaps of herbs and spices; they were juicy and flavorful and every bit as satisfying as a normal beef burger - maybe even more so! All I know is that if I can get a turkey burger past my beef-loving DH - the recipe is a keeper.
So, if grilling is in your plans over this nice long holiday weekend coming up, give these a whirl. Your taste buds - and your waistline - will thank you!
Guilt-Free Turkey Bacon Cheeseburgers
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped
- 1/2 of a medium red onion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-cup bread crumbs (optional)
- 8 slices turkey bacon, precooked
- 4 slices low-fat or fat-free cheddar cheese slices (good ones exist these days!)
- 4 English muffins, toasted
- Burger toppings and condiments of your choosing: tomatoes, sliced onion, avocado, lettuce, pickles, mustard, etc.