If you're like me, you'll be grilling up a storm this coming Labor Day weekend. One of the recipes on my agenda is tomatillo salsa, made with the purple heirloom beauties you see here (got em from Sun Born Organics - thanks Mike!). I love love love tomatillo salsa, and if you make this recipe, so will you. It's the perfect accompaniment for all of your holiday weekend grub: consider it as a topping for burgers or grilled meat; a fantastic addition to your seven-layer dip or mile-high nachos, or simply all on its own with a big bag of tortilla chips. Dig in and enjoy!
Fire-Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- 8-10 medium tomatillos, husked and cut in half
- 1-2 serrano chilis
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped (more if you like cilantro!)
- 1/2 of a medium white onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste