Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Radishes, Oh How They Taunt


So all spring I've been ogling the breakfast radishes at the farmers market. They are just so beautiful, sitting there all pretty-like, with their leafy green tops. They beckon, they tantalize - their candy cane-colored red and white tubers still dusted with the earth from which they were recently plucked. I finally had to break down and get a bunch. I love the spicy radishes for their crunch and their tang, perfectly accentuated with a sprinkling of salt - a tasty, quirky snack.

Alas,there really are only so many radishes a person can eat in a sitting, so I shared my pretties with some party guests in the form of these colorful little canapes. They make fantastic, fresh appetizers - and they are simple enough to explain without a formal recipe. Here goes:
  • Slice up a sourdough baguette in to thin rounds
  • Top each round with a schmear of cream cheese that you've gussied up with fresh, chopped dill, a squeeze of lime, and garlic salt (to taste)
  • Top with thin (almost translucent!) layers of sliced radishes and cucumbers (I use a mandolin to get a nice, even slice)
  • Season with fresh-cracked sea salt
Snack on, my friends, snack on.

No comments:

Post a Comment