Friday, June 26, 2009

I'm Growing!


While my waistline may very well be expanding (please God no...) - what I mean by "I'm Growing" is that I finally finally finally have a garden to call my own. For the first time since Ran and I bought our house, we were able to plant the garden that we've envisioned for so long. Not that we'd been lazy (ok, only a little lazy) - but our tiny yard has literally taken us four years to get into good enough shape to even contemplate a garden (thanks previous owner!). But the demolition, grading, roto-tilling and earth-pounding are behind us... ahead: Plants! Flowers! Greenery!

To that end, Ran built two different raised beds from lumber that he reclaimed from an industrial make-over project in town (pictures on Twtitpic!). I then got them all planted with seedlings that I purchased from MorningSun Herb Farm, a local grower that sells an amazing variety of plants. Since we have access to a seemingly unending supply of fruit and vegetables at the Farmers Market, I dedicated all my growing space to culinary herbs (and one lone spicy pepper plant!). Check out this list:
  • Spearmint
  • Chocolate Spearmint
  • Chives
  • French Savory
  • Arugula
  • Bergartten Sage
  • Pineapple Sage
  • Wedgewood Thyme
  • Lavendar de Provence
  • Shiso (green)
  • Italian Oregano
  • Cilantro
  • Curly Parsley
  • Italian Parsley
  • And five kinds of Basil: Genovese, Lemon, Red Ruben, Thai and a variegated basil called Pesto Perpetuo
Wow! And I think I even have a tiny bit of room for more! So, y'all can look forward to some herb-infused recipes in the future... you know I'll keep you posted. But for now, I'm going to go dig around in the dirt!

1 comment:

  1. YEAAAAA! I love growing my little garden so I know how excited you must be to see neat things flourishing out back. I also loved your article on the Berkely Bowl. I haven't been over to check it out yet but it's high on my list. Beautiful photography as usual! Hope to see you soon.
    Hetta

    ReplyDelete