Sunday, September 18, 2011

Blossoming in the Kitchen

So I'm at the farmer's market with one of my bestest foodie friends, Glenn. It was pretty amazing how we both honed in on a basket brimming with squash blossoms at precisely the same time. Between the two of us, we bought out the farmer's stash for the day, before the market had officially even opened (we're no dummies - we were there 15 minutes before the official opening time, cash in hand).

Of course we got to talking how we were going to prepare our little treasures, and of course the fall-back way is to stuff them with some cheesy gooeyness, batter and fry them. Glenn was going to do just that, but as good as that sounds (and is!) - I told Glenn that I was going to challenge myself to come up with a lighter version of the dish that was every bit as delicious.

Mission accomplished - and it was altogether a much easier, quicker dish to prepare than the fried version. Here's what I did:
  • I still wanted a creamy, soft inside, so I went with a fat-free ricotta.
  • To the ricotta, I added some fresh chopped herbs (basil, oregano), some roasted and chopped garlic, and some chopped up sundried tomatoes that I had packed in olive oil.
  • I scooped a generous tablespoon of the mixture into the blossoms, and twisted the open end to hold it all together.
  • I dunked each blossom in an egg white bath (I added a tablespoon of water for every two egg whites and whisked until frothy)
  • Rolled the stuffed/dunked blossoms in panko bread crumbs
  • Baked at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes (turning once) until they were browned and the filling was warmed through
How about that, huh? Totally my new go-to method of making squash blossoms. Eat your heart out, Glenn!

No comments:

Post a Comment