Tuesday, April 6, 2010

This is a Stick-Up: Thai-Style Satay

I don't think you can talk about Thai food without mentioning the ubiquitous satay. Grilled meat on a stick, the most popular being steak, shrimp or chicken. It's entry-level Thai food; every Thai restaurant here in the states has it on the menu, and I dare say it's many a soul's easy introduction to Thai cuisine. And the restaurants aren't misrepresenting the simple dish - it's hugely popular and widely available in Thailand too.

Ironically, despite its prevalence, I don't recall eating it a single time while I was actually in Thailand. What? Can that be?

True or not, when I got home, I had a hankering for satay. Or maybe it was more a hankering for the peanut sauce to dip it in (just give me a spoon and stand back!). Whatever the case, I have my own Thai-inspired version that I just love, and has become a huge hit among my friends who have tried it.

My version is semi-homemade, using bottled yellow curry paste rather than making it from scratch (but if you're a purist and have oodles of time, knock yourself out and make your own yellow curry paste, recipe here). I also just buy prepared peanut sauce (again, for those who really want to go to all of the work to make it yourself, recipe here). But the commercial products will work just fine, and the end result is scrumptious! Just marinate your preferred meat item in the ingredients I list below, grill and enjoy.

Thai Satay Marinade
(Makes enough to marinate 1 pound of chicken, beef or shrimp)
  • 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
  • 3 tablespoons yellow curry paste (more or less, depending on your own taste... I like a lot!)
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed or crushed
  • 1 teaspoon ginger, finely minced
  • Salt, to taste
Combine the coconut milk and curry paste, whisk until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Pour over strips of chicken breast or steak; refrigerate for 1+ hour. Thread the meat onto bamboo skewers and grill. Serve with your favorite brand of peanut sauce for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment