Monday, October 26, 2009

Eat Orange Food, Part 4: Carrot-Harissa Spread

The first time I tried this recipe, I have to admit I was skeptical. It was being made by a friend for inclusion in the Fare to Remember cookbook, and I was astounded that her go-to dish was a spread made from a base of only steamed carrots. I like carrots plenty, but still... the dish sounded... mushy. But one bite and I was hooked. Really hooked. It is, in a word, irresistible. But if I had to give you a few more words, I'd include simple, healthy, colorful, flavorful and addictive. Trust me on this one, even if the idea of steamed carrots doesn't appeal to you, this spread will change your mind forever.

Carrot-Harissa Spread
Contributed by Anne Vrolyk
  • 2 pounds carrots (if large, cut into pieces for steaming; if small, steam whole)
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons harissa paste (North African chili/spice paste available at gourmet specialty stores or online; recommended brand: Mustapha)
  • 1 teaspoon powdered cumin
Steam carrots until soft. Put together into a food processor with oil, harissa and cumin. Process until smooth. Salt to taste. A little more oil can be added if texture is not creamy enough. Serve with toasted Pita bread triangles, crackers or flatbread.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely stunning ! Would never have thought of a carrot dip !
    Beautiful ! Beautiful ! Beautiful !

    ReplyDelete