Saturday, March 14, 2009

Adobo Ale Flank Steak


I'm a huge fan of red meat. Life without steak? Not so fun. But being true to my budget-conscious ways, I'm not exactly springing for filet mignon, ribeye or New York cuts on a regular basis. But, lucky for me, I know how to fancy up even an inexpensive cut like flank steak or top round to be succulent, tender and delicious. I find there are two keys: tenderizing and marinating. This recipe uses beer to do a little of both! (Steak and beer - what more could a girl want? I might as well start my second career as a Miller Highlife girl now.....) The carbonation in the beer helps to tenderize a tough cut, as well as inject oodles of flavor. Throw it on the grill and you've got yourself some good eats in no time flat.

Adobo Ale Flank Steak
  • 2-pound flank steak (you could also use a top round cut, or actually, any beef steak or roast; the marinade is delicious regardless)
  • 1 12-ounce bottle of amber ale (I use Fat Tire Amber Ale by the New Belgian Brewing Company because I'm loyal like that!)
  • 2 heaping tablespoons adobo paste (available in jars in the Mexican section of the supermarket)
  • 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Stab the flank steak with a sharp knife repeatedly on both sides creating ample deep holes. Go ahead, get your aggression out! It should look like an aerated lawn when you're done with it. In a separate bowl, combine beer, adobo paste and crushed garlic and mix well. It will take some amount of stirring to dissolve the adobo paste. Pour mixture over the flank steak in a covered dish, season liberally with salt and pepper, and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours (if you can do it overnight, all the better). When fully marinated, cook on a hot grill until the internal temperature of the steak reaches 140 degrees (rare) - about 20 minutes total. (I usually sear over high flame for 5 minutes each side, and then finish the cooking over indirect heat turning once.) Use the reserved marinade to baste the steak as it grills. Pull from heat and let rest a minimum of 10 minutes before slicing. Be sure to slice on the bias for tenderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment